These armour pickups respawn every 25 seconds. Armour has no degeneration like Q3 so if you have 200 armour it will stay 200 until you receive damage.
Shard (5 Armour) will always add to you current tier (if you have not picked any armor yet, it will be calculated as green) and max out at 200
(This is just a reformatted version of newborns post)
- Damage absorption 1:1 (armour:health)
- Minimum armour after pickup 50
- Maximum armour after pickup 100
- Cannot be picked up unless you have less then 100 Green Armour or 75 Yellow Armour or 66 Red Armour.
Getting hit in the face with a rocket, you will lose 50 armour and 50 health.
- Damage absorption 2:1 (armour:health)
- Minimum armour after pickup 100
- Maximum armour after pickup 150
- Cannot be picked up unless you have less then 132 Red Armour or less than 150 Yellow Armour.
Getting hit in the face with a rocket, you will lose 67 armour and 33 health.
- Red protects 3:1 (armour:health)
- Minimum armour after pickup 150
- Maximum armour after pickup 200
- Cannot be picked up unless you have less then 200 Red Armour.
Getting hit in the face with a rocket, you will lose 75 armour and 25 health.
Tiered Rocket Damage and Armour
These tiers are actually balanced so there is about one good rocket's difference between them:
- No armour, you will be dead with a single rocket.
- Green armour will let you survive about 2.
- Yellow armour will let you survive about 3.
- Red armour will let you survive about 4.
Combining any of those with Megahealth will give you another rocket worth of not-being-dead.
The "cannot-downgrade system" is also designed so that you cannot just Pacman armours unless you are
- willing to do a bit of damage to yourself
- so thoroughly in control that you are running YA / YA / RA in order and engaging in enough fights
between to keep the run going (although the easy counter to this is to lay low for 25 seconds).
Anyway, that is why our 1v1 maps are usually based on a 1 RA / 2 YA / 1 MH loadout.
Ideally, the up player controls the RA and the down player takes the YA and MH. Depending on stacks, there is either 1 or 0 rockets difference between those loadouts - a single good shot can even things out. Which is what the down player should be looking for - that perfect, patient, predicted moment (not a lucky zerg).